Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Thursday, June 6, 2013

A finished Quilt

One of my goals for May was to finish the baby quilt that I started oh so long ago.  And finished it is!  It deserves its own show-off post as it is so pretty.

IMG_6464

I mentioned previously that I acquired a pile of 5 inch pink, yellow/orange, flowered and dotted squares (2 of the dotted squares) in a bag of scraps from my local quilt store.  At the time I was obsessed with the square in a square block.  I added the light blue from my craft club’s stash and the top for this quilt was born. 

IMG_6465

There are equal numbers of 2 1/2 inch square in a square blocks and just plain square blocks.  The blocks alternate through the rows.  For the block placement I just made sure that no colour was immediately beside itself horizontally or vertically and put them up so that they looked pleasing to me.

IMG_6466 

I did straight line quilting diagonally through the solid blocks, in-the-ditch quilting around the borders and a row of flowers in the outer border.

IMG_6468

This quilt is so pretty that I wish I had someone special to give it to.  It will go to the local nursing station to be given out to someone with a new baby.  So I guess that will be someone special.  Smile

IMG_6470

Stats: 

Top fabrics: Yellow, pink, flowered and dotted fabrics acquired in a scrap bag from my LQS; blue, used in blocks and for outer border is Fusions by Robert Kaufman; white inner border is Kona Snow     

Binding fabric: Ombre by Kaffe Fassett for Rowan

Backing fabric:  Essential Flannel by Wilmington Prints

Finished size: 43 x 36 inches. 

I just realized that I don’t have a label on this quilt…  I will have to add one before I give it away, but I am still going to call it done. Open-mouthed smile

Janet

27 comments:

  1. Lovely work Janet, I like the quilting design round the edge, stats? how many hours??? And the new Mum, that is truly special for her new baby. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful finish! love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is a very pretty quilt and will be greatly appreciated. Lovely to see that you are feeling well enough to be getting back into the sewing swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely finish. There is one lucky baby out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt. Congratulations on getting it done. I'm sure someone will be thrilled to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vey pretty quilt. I love the quilted flowers in the border. It will be a special gift that will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous! Love the colors. Glad it got it's own post to show it off -- it deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. I love the colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet quilt and I especially like those quilted flowers in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful quilt.One special baby will enjoy and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, and I love the flowers in the border, a great touch! And whoever gets it will be special and will feel special for having such a lovingly-made quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful Janet and someone very special will receive this pretty quilt , great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful and so modern--I see you moving more into this direction and I approve! :-) Here you are with one baby quilt and noone to give it to and I have to make 3 (Sam, Julie, Temesha). Maybe we can barter for this one????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! and the quilting works well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet quilt! I love how you quilted it. And how wonderful to donate it for a new baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love everything about this quilt from the fact that it was "found" fabric to how the pattern lends itself to some beautiful quilting which really shows nicely on the back...and yes, you are right....the baby it goes to will be very special!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful work.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful - congratulations for the finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty quilt, Janet! Whoop whoop for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out great. I don't know if I would have thought myself to put those colors together but they are prefect. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilt! I, too, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely love it... you are so talented... the colors absolutely work together...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! Just love these colors. You will always get my attention with lots of color and critter pics. ;)
    Very nice of you to donate to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty indeed!

    You seem to be much better -- hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete