Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Friday Night Sew In for October

This month I didn't actually do any sewing on Friday night.  That is because there was a quilt show in Whitehorse and a quilt show around here just cannot be missed as they come up once a year at the most.  I love quilt shows.  I love seeing what other quilters have done, I love getting to chat with the people who made the quilts, as one does in a small town like Whitehorse, and I love the ideas that I come away with. 

This quilt show is nothing like the big shows that so many of you get to go to, and I am sure they are spectacular.  One day I will get to one of those.  This one was put on by a local guild.  It has thirty members.  They are all dedicated quilters and one of them, Joanne, is a fantastic quilter who has won prizes in national shows.  We all got to vote on best small quilt, large quilt, Canada 150 quilt and favourite overall quilt.  All blindly of course - meaning the names of the makers weren't advertised.  Although, some of them had labels and you could touch them. 

Joanne won three of the categories, go figure, but there were many lovely quilts.  The show was in a church basement.  It was crowded and the quilts were hung on ropes strung here and there or laid on tables.  It wasn't easy to get good photos.


But I did take a few.  This was my favourite small quilt.  


It was about 16 x 20.  I loved the use of the colour fabrics for the spots on the dog and the eyes were very expressive.  I didn't find out who made it.

This is the quilt that won for small quilt.  One of Joanne's masterpieces and quite beautiful.



This is the quilt I voted for in the Canada 150 class.  It was made by Cathy, who is Joanne's best friend.


I liked the simplicity of the pattern and of course the Canadian feeling it expressed.

This was the winning quilt, made by my friend Agnes.  She said she cut all the pieces by hand.  What a feat that would have been!  It isn't that easy to see but the red batik is all maple leaves. 


Here is the quilt I voted for in the large quilt category.  It was made by my friend Catherine.  She and I met in French class which we have both been attending for a few years.  I remember when she brought in photos of this quilt when she was making it last year.  


I am, of course, a sucker for all that colour.  She said she didn't like the way she had quilted it, but I liked it.  It really accentuated the heart shape.

And this is the quilt I voted for as overall favourite.  It was made by Susan.  The pattern really appeals to me and the fabrics are appropriate for the pattern, although if I was to make it I would probably try to add more colour.  But her hand quilting was superb!  Unfortunately I didn't get a close-up of the hand quilting.


Here is the quilt that won for best large quilt and overall favourite.  Another of Joanne's and it is really stupendous.  She is in a class of her own, in our town anyway.


She had detail on her label about how she had hand painted the applique fabrics following some instructor's method.  Unfortunately in all the excitement I didn't put the information in the right file drawer in my brain and I can't find it now.  

And here are two more photos of quilts that I particularly liked.  Well there were lots more that I liked but these were the two I took photos of.  I don't know who made either of them.  First up, you know I am a fan of hexie quilts 😃.  This one was in the small quilt category - it was a lap size.


And this one grew on me the more I looked at it.  I liked the colour and hue transitions.


I have been doing a bit of sewing this weekend but I'll save it for another post.  Hope you enjoyed my quilt show tour.  I hope you have time to check out what everyone else did on Friday for Friday Night Sew In.  Thanks to Wendy for being a great host.  😍

Janet 

15 comments:

  1. What fun! I love a quilt show - whether it be online or in person. We have a very active guild here with about 200 members and their show was in May. Of course, I had one of my 'duh' moments and forgot to take my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful display, and fantastic talent in every one. I am thinking it is quite cold up North already, by looking at thick jerseys and sturdy footwear. I would be sure to go too, if there was one in our area, otherwise a fair way to travel to a larger centre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilts. I think i would've chose the quiot show too. I don't get to many & i do love seeing other quilters beautiful quilts. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the wonderful quilts with us! I'm with you, I really like that dog quilt and the very creative way the quilter used the colored fabric for the spots. And I like the color transitions on the last quilt a lot, it reminds me of a painting.
    Happy stitching,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely quilts! Every time I see pics of quilt shows it amazes me at the variety and creativity! Thanks so much for sharing... xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely quilts, I especially like the red and white, that is a design I have long wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these quilts were all wonderful with a lot of technique involved. Talented stitchers all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janet - always good to get to a quilt show. I too love the pixillated!? heart and the last quilt - just my sort of colours too. But lovely work all round expecially from Joanne. Thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Janet....thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed seeing them x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the quilt show with us , there sure we're some amazing quilts on display, my favorite is the author flowers and roosters , just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May not have been a huge show but certainly a lot to see. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are sew many talented ladies who make amazing Quilts. Lovely to see them ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commend your decision to forego sewing so as to go to a quilt show instead. There is always so much to see & learn at these and the inspiration lasts and lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing quilt show! The Canada quilt with all the maple leaves is so intricate! Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great collection - so much variety. I love quilt shows that seems to be full of original designs.

    ReplyDelete