Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Monday, November 24, 2014

Kantha Quilting and a Winner

I am just back from my two day Kantha Quilting class with Anna Hergert and I am tired right out.  Workshops are so intense as you try to absorb as much as you can and spend lots of time creating while having lots of fun! But because I am tired I am not going to tell you much about Kantha Quilting.  The bare bones – it is a style of hand stitching that originates in India and environs.  It was traditionally used to secure several layers of worn saris so that they could be used for other functions. 

Here is my practice piece that I worked on

IMG_8379

And here is my main piece, started this morning.  I started out predicting it would take me three years to finish this but by the end of the day I had revised that time frame to one year.

IMG_8372

My current plan is to put a stitched border around the piece and to fill in the background with Kantha stitches to make channels.  You can see what I mean by channels in my practice piece.  I also plan to use embellishments on this piece.

So now on to the big news…..  The winner of the giveaway from Sew Sisters Blogathon Canada is …

IMG_8376 

Marnie  November 21, 2014 at 6:34 AM  Thanks for sharing

(Yup.   I had to make up little pieces of paper and put them in a bag, since people could enter on more than one post…)  I’ve sent Marnie an email requesting her address info.

That’s all I have to tell you today.  Hope your Tuesday morning is bright and sunny. Smile

Janet

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fascinating, I hadn't heard of it before your post today. I do like the elephant, and hope we get progress photos too. Marnie, Congrats, this has been a wonderful "thon" and throughout, I have visited so many blogs, and seen stunning quilts and more. Janet, you can have a so deserved rest now. Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stitching is fascinating - good for you having that kind of patience! And congrats to Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting technique. I particularly love your flower. Very simple but big effect. I've pinned the picture in my embroidery board as I'll definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Marnie! Janet, that is some lovely Kantha work! I enjoyed the little kantha that I did. You've got yourself a real challenge with your main piece. I'm interested to see it again when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kantha quilting. I made a small sample some years ago and have been meaning to do more ever since - it's on my to do list somewhere!! Lovely relaxing sewing Your sample looks great too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good time. I love the elephant.
    Congratulations to your winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of Kantha quilting before. I love your elephant and look forward to watching the progress over time.

    ReplyDelete