Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Monday, May 2, 2011

Election Day in Canada

I just came back from voting, and picking up the mail.  I received my hot mat from the hot mat swap organized by Cheryl.  It’s gorgeous and I’ll show it to you in a minute.  First I want to tell you about our adventure yesterday.

It is turning to spring here and the snow is melting fast.  The little river that runs through our town opens up first and there is a channel downstream in the lake for a ways.  There are lots of birds hanging around the water: trumpeter swans, a million ducks, Canada geese and even several varieties of sea gulls.  It is so nice to get out on the water again, and some years we have seen caribou and muskrats when we have canoed out into the channel.  We went canoeing yesterday and it was beautiful.

IMG_3437

We took along DD # 2’s male friend who is visiting her from Newfoundland.  DD wasn’t feeling well and stayed home.  Her friend is here for 10 days and he’s been introduced to lots of Yukon sights.  Well yesterday he had a real Yukon initiation when we managed to dump the canoe he was in!  Wet from head to toe, and you have to know that water is COLD!  I hope we haven’t scared him off completely!

Here’s the beautiful hot mat I received from Cheryl in Australia.  She didn’t give me a blog address so I can’t tell you if or where she blogs. 

Thanks Cheryl!  This is beautiful and lovely and bright, just as I like things. 

IMG_3442

I’ll be working on some hand stitching tonight while I watch the election results on tv.

Janet

6 comments:

  1. A dump into icy water! That is an initiation he won't soon forget. Glad to see a touch of spring headed your way ... melting ice ... return of birds ... canoe on water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling hot pad!

    Oh, I can't imagine how cold that water must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hot mat reminds me of spring. It is so pretty!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it not nice to have things melt.Very cute matt!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh shiver!!!

    We've been voting here over the last couple of days... nothing terribly exciting though - just local politics so lots of talk of potholes in the roads and recycling policies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading through your blog and seeing what you have been up to. The swaps look fun. I wish I had the time to join in some this year.
    that photo of the little kids on the ice makes me nervous seeing that. scared they might fall through even though I am sure it it very thick.
    great nature photos from your part of the country. I enjoy them a lot. I planted some lupines this year but no flowers yet.

    ReplyDelete