I don’t have any brand new finish to show, in fact no finishes from this year yet…. But this quilt was finished on December 24th.
I started making this I Spy quilt for my granddaughter about five years ago, just after I took up quilting again. I had a lot to learn (not that I’ve learned it all yet) and this quilt definitely was part of my learning curve. I made templates for the hexagons and triangles out of a stiff plastic. These worked okay, but as pieces were cut, tiny slivers were lost and the shapes morphed. By the time I was sewing everything together these were not pieces that fit perfectly.
Collecting the pictures for the quilt was fun. This was before I knew about on-line quilt stores. I begged from everyone I knew, and got a lot of pieces from the scrap box at the Alaskan quilt store I go to from time to time. There is a definite theme of animals and the out-of-doors to the charms; not really a “girly” theme, but then my granddaughter has her “outdoorsy” side.
I chose blue for the setting triangles, because that was what I could find, that or red and I thought red was too much for my girl.
Once the rows were made I and I went to join them, I discovered that they didn’t match up, thanks to the poor cutting. The quilt got shelved for several years. I looked at it once in a while but couldn’t think of how to fix it.
Then my quilting skills improved, and along with that my ability to think outside of the box, and the pattern, grew. I decided that a small sashing between the rows would fix the problem, and it did quite well I believe.
My granddaughter received this quilt for Christmas in 2010, only five years late!
She picked the backing herself.
I am still learning to machine quilt…..
I had great fun “writing” the label into the border.
Thanks for coming by and checking out my quilt. Please be sure to visit
Amy's Creative Side to see other beautiful quilts in the show.