Saturday night hockey

Saturday night hockey
Saturday night hockey

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Friday Night Sew In Report

You may be wondering why I haven't posted for Friday Night Sew In.  Well.... I mentioned that I was going to a quilt retreat this weekend and I did do a lot of sewing.  But my tablet computer malfunctioned and I couldn't use the keyboard.  I could still use the touch screen, but it is way beyond my capabilities to type anything on the pop up keyboard.  So no responding to emails and no writing blog posts for me this weekend.

But I am back in action now and I have a few things to show.  I have no memory of what I actually did on Friday night though!

One of my two main projects for the weekend was straight line quilting this quilt.  Some of you may remember seeing this quilt before.  I'm not sure how long I have been working on this quilt but I see that I posted about it when I first started blogging, circa July 2010, so it is at least seven years.  I decided this year that it is time to get her done and I am close enough to taste it!

 
The blocks are 2 inches finished with a half inch sashing between them.  I am straight line quilting on each side of the cross ways red sashing.  I have seventeen more rows of quilting to do, then trim and bind and it will be done, done, done!!!

I also worked on En Provence this weekend.  I had hoped to get one block put together, but I am still cutting pieces.  I only have the light and dark purple four patches to finish cutting - 168 blocks needed and I have 55 done.  But I think once the various components of the quilt are all ready the blocks will go together quickly.  I am hoping to be ready to start building blocks at my next retreat which happens the weekend after next!

I only finished one hexie flower all weekend - but it's a wild one!!


And I made a set of second round hexies for my April swap partner.  She asked for bright, happy colours and these fit the bill.


There were lots of wonderful quilts being worked on at the retreat.  I took pictures but most didn't turn out too well because the lighting was poor.  But I'll show you a few of my favourites.

Exquisite hand stitched applique.



Pinning the border on a colourful star filled quilt.


Another star quilt.  I love this funky fabric.

And here was someone as crazy as me.  These pieces are tiny!  I think the blocks are 1.5 or 2 inches square.  She is making a wedding quilt for her son.  The idea is that the guests will sign the white strips.  

That's all I have to show.  I hope you had a great sew-in.  Check out Wendy's blog to see what others got up to, if you haven't already!

Janet 

15 comments:

  1. Your hexies are glorious, love all those bright together. And the last quilt, this is totally amazing, and what a gift it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Janet lots of beautiful work there you did well my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic quilt Janet...still gobsmacked that they are so tiny! So many lovely projects being created x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is amazing....such small pieces to work with. Love the hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness... all those small blocks .. no wonder it has taken so long .. it will be wonderful to snuggle under when it is done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful eye candy for Monday morning. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, Wow, WOW! The first quilt shown is awesome! Great job! I bet you can "taste" the end and you won't be long getting it finished up! Now THAT'S a finish that will feel GOOD!! The others are all lovely too.Aren't retreats the best fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great progress and I remember that quilt! it looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt. It's fabulous. The hexies are pretty. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nearly-finished quilt is gorgeous. It's just the kind of quilt I would love to have but it might take more patience than I have, with nearly 700 blocks. I guess a quilt like that could be a fabric diary if one started making blocks when first beginning to quilt and used every fabric for a block. Yours is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is stunning Janet! So looking forward to seeing it finished. And what a stunning hexie flower. Thanks for sharing the pics of your friends work - beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is beautiful and you accomplished a lot over the weekend. Thanks for the show and tell, I enjoyed seeing all the lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Wow and Wow.......you have been busy! Well done my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow such amazing quilts! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete